Tuesday, February 14, 2006

 

The End of an Era

There was a funeral yesterday. It was probably one of the largest for a Christian leader in Canada. I was not there. I wished I could have been so I did the next best thing and prayed for the people there as I worked.

About a month ago, Mr. Walter McNaughton went to be with his Lord. In 1933 he traveled to this area by bicycle to start Peace River Bible Institute. He was its president for years. At ages 70 and 80 he retraced his bicycle trip from central Alberta (some 250 miles). He remained in relatively good health until his death at age 95.

Last week Dr. Henry Hildebrant also passed away. (It is his funeral I refered to at the beginning.) He was the founding president of Briercrest Bible Institute (now Briercrest College) in the mid 1930's. He was still president when we were there as students in the 70's Two years ago Colleen and I went to a class reunion at Briercrest. Dr. Hildebrant preached from a sitting position. His mind was still sharp for he would start quoting Scripture long before his fingers could get to the correct page of his Bible. At his passing he was 94.

In many ways that marks an end of an era on the Canadian Prairies but at the same time our Lord raises up godly men and women to lead and train His people. On the weekend I also learned some other interesting news. Bill Graham is speaking at evangelistgic meetings in the Edmonton area. Now we all know that Billy Graham, who is now 87 (one week younger than my Mom), has turned his ministry over to his son, Franklin Graham. But who is Bill Graham? He is Billy Graham's grandson. Three generations of evangelists in the same family, all living today. (I wonder if they ever shared the same platform together.)

I hope my ramblings motivate us to pray for God's people and their leaders, present and future.

Comments:
So glad to see you posting again, Ed. Thanks for the reminder to pray for our Christian leaders!
 
Yes I also second that Jeannie.I tend to get slack and remembering to pray for our christian leaders.This was very interesting reading your post especially when you started in about Bill Graham.Billy Graham has been quite the evangelist leading many to the Lord in our time.
 
I never heard of Billy Graham's grandson before. Have you? Dr. Hildebrant was my faculty advisor at least one year. He gave me good advice, whether theological or practical, on a number of occasions. One time, in his office, he pulled up the pant leg of his suit and showed me his scars from breaking his leg playing hockey years earlier.

Mr. McNaughton became an electricial and when he was about 70, he wired the church house we lived in in Meeting Creek.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home







































































































































This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?