Wednesday, September 13, 2006

 

Where Were You?

1. Where were you when President Kennedy was assassinated?

2.Where were you when Paul Henderson scored the goal? (You have to be Canadian to appreciate that one!)

3. Where were you the morning of September 11, 2001?

Answers:
1. I was in grade seven, eating my lunch with fellow classmates in our grade 7-8 calssroom in Sylvan Heights School. Our teacher, a Mr. Lord, came back from the staff room and said: "President Kennedy has been shot." One student asked: "With a gun?" The teacher made fun of his question when all he was doing was trying to come to the reality of something almost too shoching to understand. In our young lives, we'd never yet heard of anyone being assassinated. We spent most of the afternoon lisening to a radio quickly set up in our classroom. Sketchy details were filled in and the official announcement of JFK's death was made.

2. As a hockey-loving Canadian, I have to pass on this one. (But most Canadians know.) I think I was too busy with Bible College. In 1972, I believe, there was an all important Canada-U.S.S.R. hockey series. For most Canadians this was the height of Canada's invovlement in the "cold war." Near the end of the deciding game, Paul Henderson scored the winning goal which has become known as "the goal of the century." Later on Paul Henderson became a Christian and used his fame as a platform to present the gospel.

3. We were on vacation at Ron's in Chetwynd B.C. Colleen and I were sleeping in (naturally!) when Ron's wife came to the door and said we had to come hear what was happening. As the news events disclosed what had happened, I told myself: "This is the end of life in North America as we know it." A few days later we crossed the reopened border into the United States. It was about 10 p.m. just north of Kalispell, Montana. There were no lineups there. The border officials were more thorough than normal and found a packed of pictures from Taiwan in a suitcase. They asked about them and Colleen said: "Oh, they're from our son in Taiwan." We were through the border in 5 minutes. Wherever we went we saw flags, flags , and more flags. A huge one had been strung across the street in the middle of Whitefish, a small community north of Kalispell. In downtown Kalispell, Missoula, or Stevensville, you could not look down a street without seeing at least ten flags.

On our way home, about a week later, we were stopped and I.D.'d by the U.S. border officials as we left the country. Never had that been done before, or since! We overnighted in Radium Hot Springs. Everyone I talked to in the pool was there because their flights home had been cancled, so they were enjoying an extended vacation. There were people from the U. S., Australia, and Germany.

Suzanne, Colleen and I had tickets to a Gaither concert in Calgary the next evening, but it had been cancled.

Last night Colleen and I watched "World Trade Centre." I thought is was an excellent portail of what it was like to be involved in 9-11 as a rescuer, or as a loved one.
It makes me thankful to God, and to the people who watch over us, for the freedom and protection we enjoy. May we not take it for granted.

Comments:
I was sitting in a seventh grade class at Crary Junior High School when the anouncement came over the sound system.We were to be observing a couple minutes of quiet prayer time.I remember it like it was just yesterday.I can sit here and see it plainly.

Annette,Earl and the girls were living with us at an inbetween one of their home sell and buys.Annette and the girls got themselves ready for her to run them to school in my bedroom and after they left I left for work at Rogers Department Store.I was to get three registers ready for ringing up sales and returns,check the fitting room for cleanliness,and turn on the tv back in the back of our department that the boys had for colligic wear.Sport teams clothing.As I turned it on and glanced up I saw a very tall building three quarters the way up engulfed in smoke and they were screaming that a plane had just hit the world trade center.As I stood there with my mouth hanging open,someone was screaming that another plane was headed for them also.I ran down to the girls department and down to gift wrap yelling for them to get their tvs on because the world trade centers were in trouble.I rushed back in time to watch the third plane ect.I stood there in horror watching it all take place.The whole rest of the day was a blur.I came home later and sat down in front of the tv for the rest of the night.Most businesses closed down soon after so that employees could get home and watch.I had never really paid attention to the New York Trade Center Buildings before that.Actually I wasn't even sure where it was all happening.It was the worst day ever for America.My american flag has been on the front of the house since.Actually I really need to get a canadian flag up yet.Have any idea where I could get one?Love you guys.
 
I have to say that President Kennedy was the first president that I really noticed from that point on.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home







































































































































This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?