Wednesday, November 17, 2004

 

Home on the Range

My grandfather, William Calvin Turner, was born in 1860, in Turner's Point, now a part of Dallas, Texas. At the time four generations lived in the community. As a young man, Grandpa cowboyed and homesteaded in Texas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico.

In fact, he was in the famous Oklahoma land run (portrayed in the movie "Far and Away"). He also had several (mis)adventures with Indians, rustlers, and law men.

Grandpa married in 1880 but several of their children died in infancy. Then in 1900 his wife died and left him with five children which he raised as a single parent for some ten years. The youngest child, an infant, was adopted out.

Although I never met my grandfather, I feel like I know him from all the stories my father told us over and over again. around the supper table. (Stay tuned for the rest of the story.)

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home







































































































































This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?