Sunday, March 13, 2005

 

Eight Days With Jehovah-Jireh

Thursday, 2:00 to 4:30 p.m. As I was working in the Administaation Building at P.R.B.I., I got a message to call Olaf. As we played telephone tag all afternoon I wondered: "Is he wanting to sell me a house?" (He's a Christian realtor who knew I was looking for a fixer-upper, some time. I hadn't talked to him about it for nearly a year.) "Lord, if Olaf has a house for us and we should buy it, have me connect with him before I leave the building." At 4:30 p.m., as I was walking out the front doors the receptionsit said to me: "Olaf is on line one for you."
In minutes I was looking at a house in the middle of town. It needed a lot of work (but not a lot of money) but it had all the features I'd been looking for in a house.

Friday, 1:00 p.m. Colleen and I looked at the house. She loved it!

Friday 5:30 p.m. We put an offer on the house.

Saturday 7:00 p.m. Our offer had been accepted with no extra conditions. Olaf said he was surprized because he had thought it was a bit low. At the same time we were applying for a loan with our financial person. Colleen and I ended the evening praising the Lord and celebrating the completion for the crutial first setp to purchasing our first home!

Monday 11:00 a.m. I met with the business manager at P.R.B.I. to check on my job security. He took me to the President's office. (This doesn's seem to be a good thing!) In minutes I was informed that, due to restructuring, my job was being terminated in about a month or so. They reassured me that they were more than satisfied with me as an employee. Referring to the house deal, I suggested that it was off. But both men said: "Buy the house, you need a place to live." (That's easy for you to say, I thought!) I hadn't thought that I needed the house more than ever now because we would no longer be able to remain in Campus housing.

They gave me the rest of the day off. Was I disappointed? Of course I was. I still am! Was I angry? Yes! But I handled it like a maintenance man. I stoped at the shop, took by 16# framing hammer and drove it into the workbence as hard as I could. No harm done and I felt better. I really haven't been angry since.

I looked around for work. There was a Camp Manager position on a Christian job sight but I soon learned that it was already filled. As Colleen and I discussed our options, we decided we wanted to stay in Sexsmith. At least she could keep working at Wal-Mart, a job she loves. Besides there seemes to be an abundance of work available in this booming area. Lumbering, petrolium, and construction are booming right now.

Tuesday I reminded myself that Jehovah-Jireh (see Genesis 22:14) is our security, not P.R.B.I. or any other employer. I was also reading through Job in my devotions. Job 23:8-12 was very reassuring.

Wednesday 7:00 a.m. "Lord do we purchase this house?" He reminded me that a person does not build a tower without first counting the cost. " OK Lord, I need to find a job before signing off on the job security clause." Checking the sales contract I suddenly realized: "I have to have a job by 9:00 tonight!" My stress level went to 99%! I talked things over with Olaf who reassured me, "It's in the Lord's hands. Don't sweat the small stuff!" "Then you need to pray for me," I said. He did! And then he suggesed I call Dave. "He'll have a job for you today." I did! I had an interview with Dave's boss at 4:00 and had a job at 4:30 p.m. Then I went over to Wal-Mart and celebrated with Colleen over a Big Extra and fries!

Thursday 10:00 a.m. Chapel was different. Student were being asked to encouraged or thank faculty and staff members. The young man I'd been mentoring for two years came to the microphone and blessed me. He could not have given me a better affirmation of my time here at P.R.B.I.

Friday Noon. Our financial person called: "Your load has been approved but we may need more time to get CMHC approval. Check with your realtor for an extension." I knew I probably could not get one but I called Olaf anyway. He reassured me that it would be done well within the time limit. At 1:00 p.m. the financial person called back. Another institution had guarenteed our loan. He faxed us what we needed and in minutes we had signed off on the financial clause of our agreement. At 3:30 p.m. I headed off to a Men's retreat with Phil Calaway and Ben Crane.

Its now Sunday evening. I'm back after a weekend of laughter, challenges, renewing old acquaintances, and me sharing how God has been Jehovh-Jireh for us! We just drove by our new home. The "For Sale" sign is down. See the photo below.

Comments:
Boy what timing in all of this.I am very thankful the Lord worked in all of this for you.The Lord's control and timing.Wow.
 
I am very happy for you guys. It sure does seem like the Lord has some strange ways of breaking news to us. It is great to see how the Lord has worked out a new house and a new job (both things that you needed and didn't know it). His timing is perfect, even though we don't always understand it at first. He certainly is our provider and the one we can (and must) depend on. It is so great that you will finally be able to fulfill the dream you have had for a house of your own. Rascal Jack's other half.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home







































































































































This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?