Thursday, November 18, 2004

 

Granny from the Hills

My grandmother was born in West Virginia in 1868. She lived to be 96 so I got to know her fairly well as a lad. She alway had various plants drying in her front porch. From them she made her own alphalfa tea (yes, from scratch)and many other home remedies. One time she made us grandkids pick dandilion leave for "greens." They didn't taste verry good! She also had various signs for predicting the weather. Yes, she was a lot like Granny Clampit, except she didn't feud with the neighbours nor did she have an oil well in her back yard.

When she died it was the first time I lost someone close to me so I took it kind of hard. I cherish the times I had with her on the home farm, including riding a horse, riding in the milk cart Ted and I were pusing (and falling out of it), and taking her first airplane ride, all after she was 90.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home







































































































































This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?