Monday, February 07, 2005

 

Is Bigger Better?


Growing up on the farm in an era of expanaion, and being interested in engineering, I was intrigued with the many larger and larger tractors being produced. Even on the farm, we had gone from 20 horse power, to 40, 55, 70, 100, and even 160 horse power.

Pictured here is an experimental tractor made by Versatile in Winnipeg, Manitoba. It was called "Big Roy" and at 500 horse power, it was the world's largest farm tractor in 1980! But it did not work well. The four tires in line packed the soil too much. So they went back to the more conventional design of their already successful line of four wheel drive tractors.

Interestingly enough, a few years ago I was on a farm in Saskatchewas where two brothers had build a simple two wheel drive tractor which had 500 horse power. As you can imagine, its four dual tires were quite wide. I tried to find a picture of it on the Web but couldn't.Posted by Hello

Comments:
This is quite a Monster.Sure wouldn't want to get under those tires.Those tubes would make quite the river float.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
oops.I can't seem to trash the repeat comment.I have about had it with this here stuff.Repeat with me,I will not subside to this frustration,I will not subside to this frustration,I will not subside to this frustration.Ok I guess thats enough for now.
 
Yehhhhhhhhhhhh.Success.
 
I never saw this monster. Wish I had though. Thanks for all your comments. Looks exciting when you push all the wrong buttons. No I have to go change a comment I made as Wascally Wabbit!
 
I rule
 
Post a Comment

<< Home







































































































































This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?