Saturday, January 01, 2005

 

Topical New Year in the "Great White North."

We bundled up in several layers of clothing to venture out into the -30 degree night on our way to a tropical paradice! You see, our church had rented the huge indoor pool in Grande Prairie for New Year's Eve. When we arrived the place was abuzz with friendly and familiar faces of all ages. So off we went, my Mini Eskimo grandson and I, to get wet and get into the action. I spent a couple of hours with him as he slid down the slide, rode foam rafts and splashed around in the water. I enjoyed splashing around too (that's about all I can do). Except my splashing was usually aimed at some innocent passer-by who did not remain so innocent. I learned that people are reluctant to splash you back if the life-guard is standing directly behind you! After Grandpa had a couple of warm-ups in the hot tub, Mini Eskimo was ready to dry off too!

Our time in the pool reminded me of some winter nights back in the Yukon. As a family, we'd go out to Takaini Hot Springs (about 15 minutes away) and soak in their naturally heated outdoor pool. The covered runway from the change rooms to the pool was a little chilly but the pool was lovely. It was rather unique to be sitting in hot water with snow banks around you and ice-fog overhead. And yes, our wet hair would freeze-dry on top too!

Back in Grande Prairie, after a few snacks later we were ready to head on home. It was time for Mini Eskimo's meds. But before we tucked ourselves into bed the New Year arrived. So we all exchanged hugs and kisses before heading off for a long winter's nap.

I thank God for a good year in 2004. We all survived, and the Lord has prospered and blessed us in many ways. Wabbit has very successfully survived the Christmas rush at Wal-Mart and things are going well for me here on Campus. Captain Ron continues to do well at both basketball and college. After almost two years oversees, Jon will be returning from Taiwan some time in 2005, Lord willing. And we got to welcome in the new year with Little Exkimo and Mini Eskimo!
But most of all I thank God for His Son who is the same loving, caring, and reassuring Saviour, "yesterday, today, and forever."

Comments:
Hi Ed! great to see you're blogging :) Enjoyed reading your posts. There's a link to my northern Christmas story at Dave Long's blog - it just won first place in a contest. Have a look at www.faithinfiction.blogspot.com

Happy New Year to you and Wabbit! :)Marci
 
You written a post about a "topical new year", but I'm still waiting to find out what the "topic" of the new year is! (Oh yeah...patience is a virtue!)
 
Dis is Dat Wascally Wabbit. You looking for Elmer Fudd? He done flew the chicken soup! Took all the carrots with him and some of nuts. Now what do I do?! Left me to get my frozen sled fixed up and back to our little igloo. Now, how's that for a fine howdy do! Guess I'll just have to cook up more stew. (hee hee) Anyone out there have more carrots? How about you Marci? Dis Wascally Wabbit has been checking out your cool posts Elmer will arrive back before you can say, "Eh, what's up doc?"
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
It sounds like you really had alot of fun.Oh to have been there with all of you for some splashing of my own.
 
It sounds like you really had alot of fun.Oh to have been there with all of you for some splashing of my own.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home







































































































































This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?