Thursday, January 29, 2009

 

Accident During Surgery

As some of you know I went in for hernia surgery on Tuesday. Colleen stayed with me until they wheeled me down to O. R. at about noon. Then she headed home

In O. R. they gave me a spinal and then something else and I was out like a light.
Then the accident happened.
Was it an unsteady hand?
Was it poor footing?
Was it over compensation?
Was it ...

Whatever the cause, the instrument, instead of making a slow curve, did a complete u-turn and came to rest up against a...

Before I go any further, let me remind you that I was totally out of it, sedated and frozen from above the waist down. I had absolutely nothing to do with what happen. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!

Colleen was the first person to realize that something was wrong. But all she could do was brace herself for the inevitable.

She was on her way home from the hospital, slowly rounding an icy curve about a block from our home when she suddenly realized what was about to happen. He car spun like a top, landed in a snow bank, and banged into a tree. She braced herself and was unhurt. However the car did not fare so well.

Then I regained consciousness. By the time I was back in my recovery room, Colleen was there to greet me. She gradually let me in on what a happened. I guess she figured I'd had enough stress for one day.

By about 5:00 p.m. the freezing was out and I was steady enough on my feet to be discharged. So Colleen and I went home for supper.

I did not see our car until the next day. The driver's door was smashed in and the mirror totally gone. The window was not broken but the quarter panel below the door was bent in about an inch. We are still awaiting a decision from the insurance company. The last we had heard, they sounded like they would fix it rather than write it off. The car is a 1990. It was my Mom's and for about 8 years was used very little, spending the rest of its time in a heated indoor parkade. So its still in good shape, well, except for the door!

And my surgery? Its been 48 hours and I'm feeling better all the time. Apparently it will be two to three weeks before I can lift much. Right now I'm not even allowed to hold my grandson. He's over the weight limit.

We'll see who gets back to normal first, me or the car.

Comments:
Ed I am so thank-ful that you are alright and back on your feet.The Lord gave you a mighty gift back by placing your feet in moving order once more.Our prayers are with you in your healing process and am happy to know that process is moving along.When I talked to Colleen on the phone the other night,I about died when she told me of her car hitting the tree.I told Annette,I figured her mind was very much on you and your situation in the hospital.I am so very thank-ful the Lord kept her with us and yours.It only shows the Lord has mighty plans ahead for the two of you.Jeremiah 29:11 comes to mind,"For I know the plans I have for you,declares the Lord,plans to prosper you and not to harm you,plans to give you hope and a future".And of course the verse just came to mind,"And ye shall be my witnesses... Anyway I am so very thank-ful we still have you two,safe and sound.God speed in your healing.Sorry this comment got so longgggggggggggg.I just got carried away.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home







































































































































This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?