Wednesday, October 08, 2008

 

One Busy Week!

Uncle Doug when he was young.

Before last week began I had already volunteered to preach in my old home church, Church of the Open Bible, in Ponoka. It's just an hour's drive away now. And I was looking forward to doing some preaching since it has been about six months since my last speaking engagement.

Monday. 6:40 a.m. What's the alarm? Oh, just another work week!

Monday, 10:00 a.m. E.T. phone home. My cousin wants to know if I will do his father's funeral. He is in long term care in Wetaskawin, but he is now in a coma.

Monday, Noon. E.T. phone home again. I have the opportunity to do another "working interview" for a potential job I would like to get.

Monday, 5:30 p.m. I call my cousin but he has a bad cell connection.

Monday, 7:00 p.m. My cousin finally calls back.

Monday, 8:00 p.m. I am now in Wetaskawin. I spend about half an hour visiting and praying with my uncle Doug. I have no idea how much, if anything, he can comprehend. But after I pray with him, he is definitely more peaceful. Did my spirit connect with his spirit? I don't know.

Monday, 10:00 p.m. My cousin calls to tell me that Uncle Doug is gone. I learn later that he died within five minutes after I visited him.

Tuesday, 3:00 p.m. I call and make arrangements to have my "working interview" Wednesday evening.

Tuesday, 8:00 p.m. My cousin and his wife come and we make funeral arrangements for Uncle Doug. I agree to lead the funeral and also do the Eulogy.

Wednesday, 6:00 p.m. After a very hurried shower and supper I'm at my working interview. It lasts until about 9:30. I feel very much at home there.

Thursday, 5:30 p.m. I get a call asking me if I will take the job I interviewed for. Now, in the midst of everything else I have a "final decision" to make.

Thursday, 7:00 p.m. I'm at the computer putting together a funeral service, a message, and the eulogy for Uncle Doug.

Friday, 3:15 p.m. I give my current boss my two week notice.

Friday, 4:00 p.m. I call my new boss and accept the job.

Friday, 6:30 p.m. Suzanne and Roger join Colleen and me for Pizza supper. Roger sleeps over at our place.

Friday, 8:00 p.m. My twin brother Ted and his wife Jeanne arrive from Kallispel Montana, a 12 hour drive. We visit and I try to get some work done on my messages for the next day and Sunday.

Saturday 4:00 a.m. I wake up and decide to work on my Sunday message. I make some changes and now I finally feel like its coming together properly

Saturday, 7:00 a.m. Roger wakes up early. He lays in Grandpa's lap in the recliner chair for a while.

Saturday, 10:30 a.m. Suzanne joins the rest of us for brunch.

Saturday, Noon. I head out to the funeral. Colleen, Ted and Jeanne come a bit later. The funeral goes well. We see a number of cousins we have not seen for a while.

Saturday, 5:00 p.m. We have supper with my sister, my three brothers, and their wives.

Saturday, 7:30 p.m. We are back home and I have some time to visit with Ted before finalizing my preparations for the next day's message.

Sunday, 9:00 a.m. Ted and Jeanne leave to go back to Montana.

Sunday, 9:30 a.m. Colleen and I leave for Ponoka. It is foggy but not too bad.

Sunday, 11:00 a.m. The service goes well. The lapel mic does not work. The power point does not work. But the Holy Spirit is working through me just fine. That's what counts!

Sunday, 12:30 p.m. We go out for smorg with my brother Jim, my brother Bill and his wife Lynda, and Cliff and Eretta Reimer. They are semi-retired missionaries we have known for years. He was the one who asked me to come and speak through October.

Sunday, 3:00 p.m. We are home and we both decide we need a long Sunday afternoon snooze!

The new job? It begins on the 20th of this month. I will be taking training and then working in a group home that has three mentally challenged adults. I will be working more evenings and overnights than days. (Brian works at another similar home.) Its kind of like having a family of kids that never grow up! I'm actually looking forward to it.


My cousin Jeff who lost his father, my twin brother Ted, another cousin James.


The four brothers: Jim, Me, Bill, Ted.





Comments:
It definately sounds like a busy week alright.Its good that you were able to go and sit down with your Uncle Doug before he passed away.I like the picture of you four brothers at the end of your post.Its a keeper.Talking with him on the phone the other night was something else.I still believe it was you I was talking too all along.Love you.Glad you and Colleen had a good long snooze you both needed it for your systems to keep functioning.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home







































































































































This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?